I'm going to a party tonight (which I am nervous as hell about. I'm not all that rad at social situations), so I decided to make some cupcakes, just because I'm old-fashioned and I think you should always do something nice for someone if they're having you over to their house. Because this is Olympia, you can bet that there'll be a couple vegans wherever you go, and that gave me a reason to try vegan cupcakes Martha-style. (In case you didn't pick up on this, I'm sort of secretly obsessed with Martha Stewart. I should hate her guts but at the same time, I adore her. It's kind of how Katie and I feel about Giada "Tits 'n' Teeth" de Laurentis. Should hate her but don't.)
The recipe only makes 12 but I doubled it.
3 c. cake flour (not self-rising)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder (once Kara or Amy tried to make vegan nutella with unsweetened cocoa powder & peanut butter and it was gross. So don't do that.)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & prepare muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Mix together dry ingredients.
3. Mix together wet ingredients.
Oil & water separate! This is science, people!
4. Mix wet & dry ingredients together. The resulting mixture will be very thin! Chocolate soup!
5. Fill the cups up 3/4 of the way, then pop those suckas in the oven for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
6. Go mess around with the self-timer on your camera!
Two things I do a lot: give a thumbs-up & fiddle with my bangs. One thing I am not good at: self-timer pictures. And yes, I am wearing an apron.
Then go watch some Golden Girls.
7. Take 'em out o' the oven. Admire your handiwork. I made an icing out of powdered sugar and water then dusted them with cocoa powder but you could do whateva you want.