"I'm going to turn dining back into eating / I like food / Food tastes good"--Descendents

Friday, July 31, 2009

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes



I am learning to drive a standard transmission car, which is not the easiest thing in the world. Last weekend, I unnecessarily yelled at my poor father, so I promised him I'd bake him a treat to make up for it. He flipped through my copy of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes and selected, of course, a difficult and time-consuming one--Boston Cream Pie. (I was assuming he would pick the Guinness Stout cupcakes).

The cupcakes themselves baked up easily enough, but I ran into trouble with the pastry cream filling. Due to the distraction of my sister dancing through the kitchen, I dumped the cornstarch into the egg yolks. So I had to dump out those egg yolks & do that all over again. I went through 8 eggs on the stupid pastry cream! And I'm not happy with the texture of it, either. It's a little lumpier than I would have liked, but it was my first custard so I can't really complain. It tasted fine, which is really what matters in the end.


Troublesome custard.Cupcake friends! Avec ganache glaze.

Song about Boston:

1 comment:

  1. My god, you must give me the recipe for these cupcakes. They look delicious. Though given my low level of cooking skill, they might end up looking significantly...different from the pictures you've got there.

    ReplyDelete